Healthy Alternatives to Cereal SnacksMay 21, 2018
Gallivanting down the cereal aisle, you may notice that there are SO MANY MORE to choose from, compared to five years ago. Sugar-packed confections, gluten-free alternatives, crunchy granola combos and super-bland, healthy options.
Despite all the new choices, cereal sales have actually dropped by 17% since 2009, according to Mintel market research. As it turns out, less people are eating cereal for breakfast, because they are put-off by the sugar. Many are not just opting, but demanding for breakfast foods that fit their health needs, like fruit, greek yogurt, kefir, egg bites and vegan bars.
Don’t worry (or do worry), sugary cereals have not been completely eliminated from the American diet. According to Mintel, milennials (and other age groups) are snacking on those processed cereals throughout their days.
We understand that snacks should be delectable, but they also need to be nutritious. Refined sugar can cause you to burn out in the middle of the day, bring on headaches, make you eat other foods and lead to serious health issues.
That’s why we created TWO totally nutritious AND totally tasty snack recipes using our favorite Pure Planet products. These will keep you on track, fill you up and best of all, please your sweet tooth. Enjoy!
Choco-Mint Spirulina Energy/Protein Bites
What You’ll Need
2 tablespoons Organic Pure Planet Coconut Oil (or use your favorite)
5 tablespoons Pure Planet Choco-Mint Spirulina
1 cup organic almond butter
1/3 cup organic cream honey
1/3 cup sweetened cacao nibs
1/3 cup ground flax seeds
Desired amount organic coconut flakes (optional)
Instructions for 3 Dozen
- In a medium size bowl, mix almond butter, honey and cacao nibs with a wooden spoon.
- Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Scoop about a tablespoon of the mixture (or use a melon baller to measure) and roll into a ball.
- Optional: Coat the balls with coconut flakes.
- Refrigerate (or place in freezer) in a tightly sealed container.
What You’ll Need
3 tablespoons Pure Planet Organic Coconut Oil (or your favorite)
2-4 tablespoons Pure Planet Spirulina (powder) or Choco-Mint flavor
1/2 cup non-GMO organic popcorn kernels
Himalayan sea salt (to taste)
Optional: Cayenne pepper (to taste)
- Melt coconut oil in a pan. Note: You can easily melt Pure Planet Coconut Oil by submerging in warm water until oil it is soft or turns to liquid. Caution: Container may be hot to to the touch, depending on water temperature.
- Add kernels in, cover and let pop. Caution: Do not leave pan unattended.
- Sprinkle spirulina on popcorn until there is a light green coat.
- Sprinkle sea salt and optional cayenne pepper.
Read up on the cereal snack trend: